Introduction to Prosthodontics Rola M. Shadid, BDS, MSc,
2. History of false teeth • Replacements of lost teeth have been produced for thousands of years • 1st dentures were 700 BC from ivory & bone • Silver, gold, mother of pearl • In 1774, dentures made from porcelain • The real breakthrough came when vulcanized rubber was discovered
3. History of false teeth • The discovery of acrylic resin is the next major revolution in prosthodontics • Another important milestone in tooth replacement was the introduction of implants.
4. Definitions • Prosthetics: Replacements for missing parts of the human body. • Prosthodontics: The branch of dentistry pertaining to the restoration and maintenance of oral function, comfort, appearance, and health of the patient • Prosthesis: An artificial replacement of absent part of human body
5. Definitions • Dentulous: An individual who has his/her natural teeth present. • Edentulous: The individual who has lost his/her natural teeth. • Depending on the number of teeth missing they may be partially or completely edentulous.
6. Branches of Prosthodontics 1. Fixed prosthodontics 2. Removable prosthodontics a) complete denture prosthodontics b) partial denture prosthodontics 3. Implant prosthodontics 4. Maxillofacial prosthetics…..