Understanding Diabetes A Biochemical Perspective PDF
A clear explanation of the cause, diagnosis, and treatment of diabetes
Written for a broad range of readers, including students, researchers, policymakers, health care providers, and diabetes patients and caregivers, this book explains the underlying biochemistry and physiology of diabetes mellitus. Each chapter contains a glossary that defines key terms, a summary that highlights essential concepts discussed in each section of the chapter, as well as a set of simple problems to help readers gain a richer and deeper understanding of diabetes, from its history to treatment options.
Understanding Diabetes begins with an overview of the disease, its worldwide prevalence and cost, and its connection to the global obesity epidemic. The author then explores the history of diabetes, including the first documented description of the disease dating back to 3400 BCE in Ancient Egypt. The next chapter, A Glucose Metabolism Primer, sets forth the pathways for the metabolism of glucose. Next, the book covers:
- Regulation of glucose metabolism and glucose metabolism gone wrong
- Diabetes classification system
- Diagnosis, including current laboratory tests
- Complications, such as retinopathy, neuropathy, and cardiovascular disease
- Hereditary transmission
- Prevention and treatment, including emerging research
Although a cure has still not been found, this book demonstrates that researchers are continuing to make major breakthroughs on all fronts in the fight against diabetes, including a better understanding of its causes and an improved ability to diagnose and treat the disease.
- Understanding Diabetes A Biochemical Perspective PDF Free Download,
- Understanding Diabetes A Biochemical Perspective Free Ebook,
- Understanding Diabetes A Biochemical Perspective PDF