International Adoption and Clinical Practice PDF Free Download
No matter how positive the intent of prospective parents, international adoption is fraught with emotional, medical, administrative, linguistic, and geopolitical issues. And while a wide range of professionals supports adopted children and their families in adjusting to the inherent changes and disruptions, the pediatrician’s tasks–identifying and treating existing health problems and preventing numerous others–are particularly complex.
International Adoption and Clinical Practice equips pediatricians with a comprehensive set of tools for establishing a long-term care plan and creating interventions to promote healthy development. This concise guide overviews the intricacies of the international adoption process and how they can affect the pediatrician’s job, from potential pitfalls in collecting medical data from a child’s birth country to tracking health concerns into adolescence and young adulthood. Developmental and behavioral issues including attachment, language acquisition, identity development, and consequences of abuse and neglect are also examined in this context. Figures, tables, and reference lists complement current information on topics such as:
- Epidemiology and demographics of international adoption.
- Pre-adoption evaluation of medical records.
- Guidelines for diagnostic testing, screening, laboratory evaluations, and immunizations.
- Common mental health issues faced by adopted children and their families.
- Long-term and adult outcomes of international adoption.
- Relevant policy issues and areas for future study.
Every child deserves a safe and healthy home, and International Adoption and Clinical Practice gives pediatricians an in-depth framework for helping to make this possible as children make the transition to a new country and the next stage of their lives.
- International Adoption and Clinical Practice PDF Free Download,
- International Adoption and Clinical Practice Free Ebook,
- International Adoption and Clinical Practice PDF