Steroid Chemistry at a Glance PDF Free Download
The term steroid has become virtually synonymous with drug abuse in sport to the majority of the public. However these steroids – androgens – actually comprise only a single relatively small class of biologically active steroids, and are overshadowed by a large collection of compounds, a sizeable number of which are commercial drugs that share the same structural carbon skeleton. The development of these drugs has led to a large body of organic chemistry often denoted as “Steroid Chemistry”.
Steroid Chemistry At A Glance provides a concise overview of the main principles and reactions of steroid chemistry. Topics covered include:
- history, isolation and structure determination of steroids
- steroid nomenclature and stereochemistry
- natural sources of steroids
- synthesis and reactions of aromatic a-ring steroids, androstanes, and pregnanes
- steroids with a spirolactone at position 17
- steroids with hetrocyclic ring A
- compounds derived from cholesterol
Based on the highly successful and student friendly “at a glance” approach, the information is presented in integrated, self contained double page spreads of text and illustrative material. Students of chemistry and pharmacy using Steroid Chemistry at a Glance will find they have a resource with which they can quickly, concisely and confidently acquire, regularly review and revise the basic facts that underpin the properties, synthesis and reactions of this important class of natural products. It will also serve as a handy bench reference for postgraduates and professional chemists.